Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Getting Back to the Issues


I have been living in the Northwest Territories for over a month now, though that is sometimes a little difficult to believe. It is one of those things where it still feels distinctly strange and foreign to me, but I think of my apartment as home and increasingly think of my colleagues as an “us” or “we”, if you take my meaning.

The biggest hurdle to adapting to life in my adopted home is small town life. Why do businesses close at 5? It seems like if I want to do anything I have to take time off work to do it. It is my biggest objection at this time, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it after a while.

As for my blog, I think I can begin writing again on my usual topics. The official word from HR and my superior seems to indicate that with reasonable judgement I should be able to continue this project. There will be certain restrictions, of course. For the sake of my own professionalism I will not be commenting on education issues in the Northwest Territories (or most other places). The risk of conflict is simply too high. As for life in the Northwest Territories I hope to write about it, but I will be extra mindful of how my writing may be interpreted. You may have noticed the new disclaimer section of the blog. That should make it clear that this is entirely separate from my employer and the content is solely my responsibility.

I miss writing about politics, and I am worried I’m terribly rusty. Perhaps I’ll ease back into it with a piece I have been putting off for a few months. For those of you who have been checking in with my blog for personal accounts of my life in the North, I may try to work out a plan to continue that. However, most of my time is spent at work or in schools, and I cannot discuss those publicly in this forum, or share the photos I get.

So, The Orange Tory blog should return to form next Tuesday. Stay tuned!

No comments: