Tuesday, September 10, 2013

TVO's Millennial Series and Life in NWT

The last few days have felt like summer here in Fort Smith. A "heat wave" kept temperatures in the mid-twenties, but that has come to a screeching halt and it is now rather cool and rainy at the moment. As terrifying as the prospect is, snow is only a few weeks away here in Fort Smith. I imagine the first flakes have fallen up on the Arctic Ocean. Soon as September comes it is as though a switch gets thrown.

This week TVO's The Agenda with Steve Paikin is featuring a series called, "Dude, where's my future?" The series is about the problem that millennials are facing in the present economy, which has been ongoing for about six years now. Last night they featured a panel of twenty-somethings who are struggling in the economy and trying to eke their way ahead with more education or trying to find more experience.

For anyone familiar with me I, my story is similar to many of the people on the show. You can watch the broadcast here. Most of my friends know it too. However, watching the show I felt meddlesome so I offered to write a piece in response to the episode. The Agenda's producers agreed to post it, and it is available here. It's a tough environment and there are no simple answers, but given my recent change from "typical underemployed millennial" to a person with a stable job that I could chip in. I would highly recommend tuning in to the rest of the series this week.

In Northwest Territories news, it looks like I will be travelling to Lutsel K'e later this week. Lutsel K'e is the smallest community served by the South Slave Divisional Education Council. I hope the weather clears, I hear it is quite beautiful there.

That's it for now, my blog should be back to normal (fingers crossed) this time next week.

No comments: