Thursday, April 30, 2015

Worth Reading - April 30, 2015

Today is my last day of work at the South Slave Divisional Education Council. What a strange and wonderful time it has been. The chaos of trying to orchestrate my move across the continent means that this Worth Reading is a little more slap-dash than I usually like. I hope you will forgive me for that. Here is what I was able to grab hold in the last little while.

Racial tensions have flared up once against in the American Republic, this time in Baltimore. The report from Mother Jones on the origin of this incident is more than a little bizarre. 

Andrew Coyne in the National Post writes about the need for the federal parties to take the debates seriously as we approach the election. 

Brent Rathgeber (Ind. - Edmonton-St. Albert, AB) plans to table a bill to limit the size of the bloated federal cabinet, bringing it in line with its peers in other Western countries. 

May 7th is the date of the British General Election. I will concede that I have only been dedicating a tiny amount of mental power to this (see: moving across the country). However, a friend linked me this article that paints the scene going into the election and it is not pretty at all, ex. the rise of UKIP. The UK may have to deal with worse instability than Canada had over the last few decades. 

Mandatory minimum sentences is bad policy for a whole bunch of reasons. The CBC reported this week that these minimums are costing Canadians a great deal

Sean Marshall has an interesting piece on his blog looking at how redistricting in downtown Toronto will impact on the next election. 


Earlier this month I recorded a podcast with my friend Bina about the Netflix series House of Cards. I only say a couple of stupid things, but it is a really in-depth discussion of the show's mechanics, plots and themes. There are spoilers for some other media properties so listen carefully to the warning at the front.

No comments: